About Me

Sunday, June 24, 2007

the pakcik African story

Salam
sometimes we just never realize how lucky we are. I know it sounds really cliche but, I just can't stress more, how true it is!! I just had one of the most interesting chat with this pakcik who is an African and he is now working as a Security Guard/warden in the flat we're living in.

"Hye, can I collect my package?"[that was why I was there in the first place anyway, to collect a package that someone sent me.. hehe]

[Pakcik African searched for the package and handed it to me]

(Pakcik African membuka cerita)
"You know, it's been a while since I last saw my family. I think it was about 6 years ago."he said.
"Really? Why is that?" I wanted to know more. [although actually I did know half of his story already....]
"Well, I had to leave my family back home. I need to find money here...in a foreign country...away from my family. If not, they would die of hunger...of starvation..."he looked so sad at that moment.
" Oh...em where are you from?" I asked.
"From Zimbabwe.. It is hard living there now.. our people there are suffering.. and 80% of the people are unemployed...because they would not allow us to work.. The only job there, is to be in the army , or the police, and what the police do is beat the people.."
"Oh..." Images of the film 'Blood Diamond' suddenly came to my mind... same setting, so clear in my head I can imagine all of it going on in real life.
"Even my son, well..he has a pHD, you know. But he's not allowed to work there.. in his own country! So then he wanted to go to South Africa to start a new life and work there, but his passport was taken away by them..."Now I can almost see some tears forming in his eyes..
"And so now, he's just there, walking around with no work to do. And here I am, working for him, and for all my family back home..And can you imagine not being able to see your family for 6 years? " he continued.
"Oh.. " I was lost of words by then.
"And here in this country, they know how to take advantage of someone like me. You'd see me working on holidays, on Sundays, at night..right? When those times, other people are away with their family..when they're sound asleep. This is what we have to face working in a foreign country."
I nodded.
"And if you see other foreign people here, if they want to get a job here, it is very difficult. Even though they have better qualification than the local here, it is always harder for them to get jobs....so, remember, you must go back and work for your own country.. where people don't take advantage on you...like what happened to me.."
I nodded again.."It must have been hard for you.. How long will you be working here then?" I asked.
"I don't know,when things are better back home I guess. It must become better one day, I know."
" I hope so too, that everything will be allright one day.." I said.
" Yes, yes I hope so too.I miss my family very much.. "
"And I hope you'll be strong for now," I offered.
"Yes, yes, thank you.. it's just a matter of time." He glanced at his watch." Ahh, oh well, it has been very nice talking to you. Thank you for listening..."
I smiled.."Em.. yeah, thank you to you too. For sharing.. "

And with that, I grabbed my parcel and headed back to my room. So that's just my point. Many people out there are actually suffering, they face difficulties and hardships every day to survive. But how about us here? Do we wake up finding that there's nothing to be eaten this morning? Or do we wake up in the mornings to the sounds of bomb or gunshots? Do we wake up worrying whether it's gonna be our last day to see our closest family member? We don't, do we? Instead each morning, we wake up in our nice bedrooms, safe houses, and perhaps the only thing worrying is what to wear to school/university today. Of course there's nothing wrong with that. But have we ever really takes some time, and be very2 grateful for what we have today? For the peace that we are living in today, for every little tiny thing that we usually takes for granted today? What we have today definitely comes from the blessings of Him, the Almighty, so are we thankful for all of those?

And being the fortunate ones, do we only listen to the stories of the people in distress and say," too bad, dah nasib diorg mcm tu nak buat mcm mana.." That is not enough isn't it? There are definitely many things, even little things that we can do, that makes such a BIG difference in their lives. We can send our doa to them...especially to our brothers and sisters in Palestine, for example. And we can definitely donate some money to them , never mind if it's only a little. Because when many people each do their part, the total can be a lot!

And some last note: Do come and donate for the Cambodians in the Cambodia Relief Mission. They really need our help.. Contact me if you're willing to do so...right? :D and I think I'll post another entry altogether about the Cambodians later.. Allrite c ya!
Salam

No comments: